Registered Psychotherapist in London, Ontario
Starting therapy takes guts and can be a significant moment in one’s life. Most of us do it when we’re feeling defeated by familiar patterns, alone, or in repeated conflict.
Therapy offers a chance to clarify why your relationship is in distress – or why you are not living the life you want to be – and what we can do together now to make something different possible. Therapy is a process of supported inquiry. It is powerful work—it can help us shift from merely coping with life’s challenges to feeling more fully alive. My role as a Registered Psychotherapist with the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario is to assist you to create a style of living, or ways of connecting in your intimate relationships, marked by less struggle and stress. A greater sense of vitality and authenticity, positive healing and better relating, can emerge from the process.
How Do I Know If I Need Psychotherapy?
While you might realize that psychotherapy can help with life’s problems, it can sometimes be difficult to seek help or to even recognize when it is time to talk to a professional.
One key thing to remember is that the sooner you seek assistance, the sooner you will start to experience relief. Instead of waiting until your symptoms get out of control, you should consider getting help as soon as you start to recognize that there might be a problem.
Some key signs that it might be time to see a psychotherapist include:
- The issue is causing significant distress or disruption in your life. If you feel that the problem you are facing interrupts a number of important areas of your life including school, work, and relationships, it may be time to see if psychotherapy can help.
- You are relying on unhealthy or dangerous coping mechanisms. If you find yourself dealing with your problem by smoking, drinking, overeating, or taking out your frustrations on others, seeking assistance can help you find healthier and more beneficial coping strategies.
- Friends and family are concerned about your well-being. If it has reached a point where other people are worried about your emotional and mental health, it may be time to see if psychotherapy can improve your psychological state.
- Nothing you have tried so far has helped. You’ve read self-help books, explored some techniques you read about online, or even tried just ignoring the problem, yet things just seem to be staying the same or even getting worse. Just remember that you don’t have to wait until your problems become so overwhelming that coping seems impossible. I know it’s scary but help is available and the sooner you reach out, the sooner you’ll be back on track to a healthier, happier state of mind.
Psychotherapy is not limited to times of difficulty or stress, it can also be a very valuable tool for personal growth and development. It can help you to feel better about yourself, to understand your own thoughts, feelings, and responses better, and to work towards greater self-fulfillment and mastery.
Issues I work with
- Anger Management
- Stress Management
- Behavioural Issues
- Coping Skills
- Emotional Disturbance
- Family Conflict
- Grief & Loss
- Suicide Ideation
- Life Transitions
- Sexual/Emotional/Physical abuse
- Spirituality and Spiritual crisis
- Trauma and PTSD
- Bipolar Disorder
What Is My Treatment Approach?
Our beliefs create our reality.
For change to happen we must become aware of the sabotaging thoughts that keep us stuck. We cannot cannot change what we are not aware of. When we shift our focus to what we choose to believe, instead of what we were taught to believe dramatic changes happen.
- Inner Child Healing
- CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy)
The body never lies.
Physical illness or chronic pain can often be connected back to unresolved emotions stemming from past painful or traumatic experiences. Listening to the body’s wisdom allows for healing & releasing old pain, bringing insights, clarity & confidence in life choices.
- Body Psychotherapy
- Breathwork-Integral Breath Therapy
- Energy Healing
- Chakra Balancing
- HMR (Holographic Memory Resolution)
Discover, explore & implement the expression of one's True Self.
Guiding you to develop your personal system of meaning, belief and sense of the Divine by accessing the wisdom of a higher self, the gifts of transpersonal awareness or the power of intuition.
- Psycho-Spiritual or Soul Work
- Dream Interpretation
- Past Life Regression
My approach draws upon several styles and schools of practice depending on the client and situation:
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Emotionally focused
- Solution-based therapy
- Inner child work
- Somatic and Breathwork
- Family systems
- Holographic Memory Resolution
While all psychotherapy endeavours to address imbalances in a mood, rebuild depleted self-esteem, and support clients in cultivating insight, psychotherapy that incorporates a psychospiritual dimension also emphasizes the journey of the soul, or spirit – which may include the wish to strengthen a connection with a higher power. Psychotherapy can be an explorative space for individuals seeking to deepen a lifelong faith, a change in spiritual affiliation, or even a break from a familiar denomination of belief. For some, the focus is not on a higher power or deity, but rather on accessing the wisdom of a higher self, the gifts of transpersonal awareness, or the power of intuition. Others seek to learn more about something that is currently sensed or felt but is as yet undefined.
Psychotherapy can be a safe and thoughtful space to address a spiritual crisis. Some individuals arrive in therapy with a sense of wounding or burden on the level of the spirit. They seek a supportive, open-minded therapist who can aid them in their efforts to feel more emotionally and spiritually whole. Some of these clients describe how they themselves have even sought to deny, or have felt compelled by others to deny, their sense of mystical experience or transpersonal awareness. For such individuals, meeting with a sensitive psychotherapist who honours their efforts to connect with the sacred and cultivate a sense of spirit is a profound experience. It may be a transformational opportunity to engage the needs of the soul, possibly for the first time.
The spiritual therapeutic treatment is likely to be highly individually tailored. It may include:
- Exploring the nature of your psychospiritual crisis and your particular response to it (e.g., a sense of inauthenticity, a broken connection, stalled spiritual growth)
- Helping you to further develop your personal system of meaning, belief, and sense of the Divine
- Sorting through any blocks, resistances, or disavowed aspects of your psyche (e.g., Carl Jung’s concept of Shadow Self) that might be contributing to your challenges
- Empowering you to deepen your access to your spark of inner divinity, your inner healer
- Encouraging your capacity for authenticity and expanded consciousness
- Inviting spirit into the psychotherapy space, e.g., through prayer, trance, meditation, focusing, or energy work, sound or mantra
All these tools serve the same end: to help you gain deeper mastery of your own inborn power and wisdom, to help you re-connect to your life as fully as possible. By integrating the different aspects of your life and beginning to trust your own knowledge of Self, you once again create balance and harmony in your life that encourages positive healing.
What can you expect?
I offer a complimentary 15-minute consultation which you can either Book Online, or fill out the form on my contact page. This allows us an opportunity to meet and discuss therapy, your goals, and see if we resonate with each other. This is not an active therapy session.
Our first session will be the intake session (typically 75 min) where I gather your history, sign any paperwork, and give us a chance to set some goals for our time together. At that time, we will determine the schedule for sessions (weekly or bi-weekly). Regular sessions are 50 minutes.
All regular sessions are client-centred and focused on your therapeutic goals. As the relationship develops and time goes on, goals are re-evaluated as needed. As part of my Psychotherapy service in London Ontario, I also offer e-counselling online if you are not able to visit my offices.